Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Videos from the Hill

Up on the hill above the house I’ve had some camera traps for a number of years and have included photos and videos in past posts. This year I’ve been remiss in not posting videos from the hill. To make amends for that oversight here are some of the videos that three of the cameras have collected since April –

The house cat belongs to one of our neighbors; they frequently let it out to wander – and to do what wandering cats do, which is to kill small mammals and birds. It’s been estimated that free-roaming house cats kill between six and 25 BILLION birds and small mammals each year. An article in Nature by three authors (two from the Smithsonian and one from the Fish & Wildlife Service) states: “… free-ranging cats cause substantially greater wildlife mortality than previously thought and are likely the single greatest source of anthropogenic [human caused] mortality for US birds and mammals.”

5 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Are cats a key animal/predator?
I think there's no telling what cats would be up to if not domesticated. I suspect, though, rats wouldn't be happy.

dee Nambiar said...

Great clips!

Whoa! Housecats can do that much damage? Nice to know.

eileeninmd said...

Great critter video, such a wonderful variety of wildlife captures.
The deer and the bears are my favorite. I wish people would not let their housecats roam free. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your weekend.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I never knew that about cats but it's interesting. ALWAYS love your videos! Thanks! I'll pour a cup of coffee and look at them!

Shiju Sugunan said...

I liked the video. Very interesting captures!

My latest post:
https://craniumbolts.blogspot.com/2021/09/brief-visit-to-kaikondrahalli.html