Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Day by Day Throughout the Year - 1st quarter

It’s now been about 70 years since I used my father’s Kodak camera, which took size 616 roll film, to take a few photographs. The negatives were about the size of postcards as were the black and white prints of the landscapes through which we hiked.

When I was in college I bought a rangefinder-style camera that took 35mm film, I still have some of those slides – photos of family and scenery.

In the early 1970s it was a single lens reflex camera and several lenses that went with me day by day, it produced 35mm slides of our kids as they grew up and the wildflowers and wildlife that had always interested me. I’m still photographing those things, but added our grandchildren to the list of subjects.

For the last 50 years I've seldom been in forest and field without a camera a camera that has made me more aware of the wonders of the world in which we dwell.

Five times over the last decade I’ve made it a project to post an interesting photograph day by day throughout the year. Some days it's been of something large enough that it couldn't be missed, other days it's something small that's frequently overlooked.

These are photographs taken day by day throughout the the first quarter of 2024, photographs of the natural world where I’ve spent a lot of my life both at work and at play. These images are from wherever I might have been and of whatever may have caught my attention

























































































Those are the day by day photos from the first three months of 2024. Photos of the second three calendar months will follow as spring flowers bloom, insects become more active and spring fades into summer.

Projects like this are well worth doing because they encourage me to take a closer look at the world around us. Consider doing something similar with anything that interests you. You don't need an expensive camera, a cell phone or an inexpensive used camera could yield interesting and inspiring images.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Awe inspiring. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Woody...just a FYI. The link to this blog post didn't work - but I was able to open it through your base URL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This requires some serious contemplation! I like your challenge in the last paragraph. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great collection! I remain in awe of your work. Wonderful technique and a great deal of patience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great project, well done. So many beautiful nature and wildlife photos.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really do need this challenge but I hike so much, I have trouble keeping up with all the photos I take. You always share amazing photos and I can sit and enjoy them at my leisure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking of taking you up on this, but the wheelchair would be my main limitation. Maybe I'll do this and just see how it works. You're right about it making you look at things more closely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I continue to be inspired by this post of yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting "In Forest and Field" and thank you especially for commenting. It's always interesting to see other peoples' thoughts. Unfortunately, due to spam and trolls (not the kind living beneath bridges), comments must now be approved before being posted.

Woody