Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Rainy Ruby

It was a rather cool morning for mid-August, and raining. The woods were soaked and so was I after spending several hours searching for fungi and other subjects to photograph. After changing out of my wet boots and clothes I was preparing to eat lunch and happened to look out the kitchen window.

On a branch of a dead tree was a ruby-throated hummingbird, also quite wet –


This was a female or, more likely, a juvenile bird. Every thirty seconds or so it would fluff its feathers and shake in an effort to get rid of the still-falling rain –


The bird flew over to the feeder hanging from the eave of the house and fed for a while, then back to the dead limb. Meanwhile I’d moved a bit to get a better view.
When it again landed on the limb  it was facing me, still bearing droplets of rain on its beak –


Back to the feeder again 
it takes a lot of fuel to keep that little body warm in cool wet weather. And then back to the branch –


The back and forth trips continued until the hummingbird flew up and over the roof of the house.

Two hours later the rain had stopped and the hummingbird had returned to the dead branch. It looked up into the woods behind the house and raised its hackles, perhaps it had seen another of the hummingbirds that visit the feeder –



To the feeder and back and then to spend a long time preening –





This bird was especially tolerant of a close approach which is what led me to conclude, perhaps incorrectly, that it was a young bird rather than an adult female – although, on previous occasions, I’ve sometimes been able to closely
approach adult ruby-throats.

6 comments:

  1. We have been enjoying the antics of the hummingbirds at our feeder this summer. They are not very afraid of me either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came over from the Furry Gnome’s blog. Your photos of the hummingbird are outstanding. I see some of these birds in the backyard once in a while, but they are so fast that I can’t snap their picture. A couple of months ago in Atlanta I swapped some old cameras for a new micro lens to go on my Nikon, but I am afraid to use it and find it difficult to take photos of birds. My late husband, who had a career in the environment field, could recognize all the birds, but I can’t.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing action shots of that hummer! I imagine they'll be leaving soon, so they have to fatten up for the long flight south. Usually, I see them fighting over food sources, but one September I saw dozens feeding together in a patch of Cardinal Flowers, tolerating one another. Do hummingbirds fly together in flocks when they migrate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great captures of the hummingbird. I have seen hummingbirds hover in front of my face, I think they were curious. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so dainty and pretty. It's hard to get good photos but I'm glad this one posed for you for awhile!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting "In Forest and Field" and thank you especially for commenting. It's always interesting to see other peoples' thoughts. Unfortunately, due to spam and trolls (not the kind living beneath bridges), comments must now be approved before being posted.

Woody