Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Faces in the Forest

Out in the forests and fencerows there are faces watching us. Some of the faces are those of the mammals, birds, amphibians, insects and other living creatures – but some are not. Those non-living faces are the inanimate faces to be found on trees and rocks and some plants.

The inanimate faces we see are but a small percentage of those that are out there since few of us actually search for them. Every one of the faces I’ve seen has been found by chance, just something that caught my eye. Some require a bit of imagination or just the right light striking the spot at just the right angle, but others seem really obvious.

Here’s a sample of the faces I’ve found in the forest. The first few do require some imagination to discern a face, they get easier as you scroll through the photographs –

Here’s one that reminded me of Edvard Munch’s painting The Scream (which was originally titled The Scream of Nature) –

There are animal faces as well, the profile of a black bear –

And the three-horned bull of the woods –

But most are human faces –

 

Just in case you don’t see what I’ve seen, here’s my interpretation of the images –


And no, these are not fossilized faces of the mythical sasquatch nor objects created by a super-natural something - they're just random shapes playing with my mind. "Don't you have anything better to do?" says my wife.

7 comments:

Cathy said...

I love the way you "see" the world around you. Few people have eyes as you do.

The Furry Gnome said...

Thanks for the second half of that, though I think I got them all.

Chas S. Clifton said...

Lots of fun -- making the forest (psychologically) alive.

Kim S. said...

I loved H's comment! Kim in PA

Powell River Books said...

Wood and rock create natural forms of art. Love your photographs. - Margy

Rain said...

Hi Woody!! Oh I love all the faces you showed!! Especially The Scream!!! One of my favourite paintings! I used to go out into the woods to look for faces in Nature, thanks for the reminder to do so!! ☺☺

Yvonne said...

I'm glad I read this. You made me laugh this chilly morning. I see faces too, although you are much more imaginative.