Thursday, April 27, 2017

Number 200



This is the 200th post of In Forest and Field, a minor milestone and one that will be highlighted with a somewhat different topic. I’ve been collecting quotations that have struck my fancy for over 45 years. I'd like to share some of my favorites that relate to the natural world:


 

The good worker loves the board before it becomes a table, loves the tree before it yields the board, loves the forest before it gives up the tree.
Wendell Berry




 
It is time now to sing of my gratitude: For legs and hills and trees and seasons … and for all the roads I walked on, for the hills I climbed ...  for trees and grass and sky.
          Andre Dubus

 

I am a lover of uneven ground and moving water.
          Author Unknown

  


Look at nature, especially in the spring, and you will know that however long or brief, life is worth the living.
          Linda Stiner

 

The Land is more important than we are.
          Author Unknown




 
In the world of biology, as in the world of finance, diversity is our only hedge against unknown and future risks.
          John Madson



 
When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle will see it drop, the deer will hear it hit the ground, and the bear will smell it.
          Old Adage




…it is quite possible to love a piece of country as one would love a friend and grieve nearly as much when it is taken from you.
          Philip Hyde






If you were accused of being a conservationist, would there be enough evidence to convict?
          Author Unknown


How can foresters be trusted to manage a natural preserve when they can’t identify the birds or wildflowers on the area, much less understand their special environmental requirements.
          Dr. Carl Reidel


The public interest in a healthy environment entails an effort to restore a naturally reproducing conifer-hardwood forest with its full complement of native flora and fauna.
          Aldo Leopold




Nature is not only more complicated than we think, it is more complicated than we can think.
          Author Unknown



 

Because it doesn’t have big brown eyes, no one cries when habitat dies. 
Jerry Hassinger


 
 

After we've lost a natural place, it's gone for everyone---hikers, campers, boaters, bicyclists, wildlife watchers, fishers, hunters, and wildlife---a complete and absolutely democratic tragedy of emptiness. For this reason, it's vital that we overcome our differences, find common ground in our shared love for the natural world, and work together to defend the wild.
          Richard Nelson



A final one that is my absolute favorite and the one that sums up my personal philosophy.


I live for those who love me,
For those who know me true…
For the cause that needs assistance
And the wrong that needs resistance,
For the future in the distance
And the good that I can do.
          E. Robert Wallach





3 comments:

September Violets said...

These are all wonderful quotes. I like Philip Hydes' quote, and feel this way when I visit the places where I grew up. Many of the farming properties that surrounded my home have been dug under, and housing communities fill them. I try to avoid driving through those places whenever I'm back that way. Wendy

The Furry Gnome said...

Great goup of quotes! Congrats on #200 too.

Lady Fi said...

Lovely shots. And congrats on your milestone.