Thursday, August 1, 2013

I am in love with this green earth

For as long as I can remember I've wandered the fields and forests of the northeast. My father introduced me to the forest and instilled in me a love for the natural world. The English essayist Charles Lamb (1775-1834) once said, "I am in love with this green earth." And so am I, all these many years later "In love with this green earth." Here will be the observations and opinions of an aging nature lover. 
 
For the last few weeks a white-tailed doe with twin fawns has been visiting the yard. They're all pretty tame and typically just stand looking at anyone who comes out the door; only leaving if a human gets too close (less than about 20-30 feet) or moves suddenly. Yesterday the doe and her fawns were under the apple tree feeding on drops. Most of the fallen apples are those that the gray squirrels have cut and then dropped. Except for the squirrels, we'd get a lot more apples for ourselves from the tree -- but the deer sure do enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting "In Forest and Field" and thank you especially for commenting. It's always interesting to see other peoples' thoughts. Unfortunately, due to spam and trolls (not the kind living beneath bridges), comments must now be approved before being posted.

Woody